- Investment in three product areas: Tert. butanol (TBA), di-isobutene (DiB) and 3,5,5-trimethylhexanal (TMH)
- Double-digit million project launched in June 2020
- Higher volumes and more flexible delivery options from December 2021
Evonik is investing around €15 million in its C4 production network in Marl. Targeted debottlenecking measures will increase the local production capacity for so-called isobutene derivatives by well over 50% by December 2021. In addition, logistics will be further expanded in order to further increase the flexibility of supply to customers: both in terms of the quantities requested and the delivery time.
Another advantage of the investment: The purity for the product TMH increases from > 88 % to > 96 %. This means that in future customers will be able to use TMH directly in their own production process without additional purification - saving time and money.
The products TBA, DiB and TMH are manufactured in the isobutene part of the production network. They are enjoying increasing demand and have high future growth potential. Hinnerk Becker, market segment manager for specialties at Performance Intermediates, explains: "Evonik has enormous expertise in the production of isobutene derivatives with high product and isomer purity. Our investment supports the high growth dynamics in the field of synthetic high-performance lubricants. We are also developing new applications for our petrochemical specialties. With the broadening of our range of isobutene derivatives, we are able to offer our customers an even better combination of supply reliability, flexibility and product quality."
The background to the investment in the Performance Intermediates business line is the ongoing development of so-called petrochemical specialties. These supplement the well-known classics such as MTBE, 1,3-butadiene or DINP and make a significant contribution to meeting the requirement of 100% material use of all raw material flows and thus to our sustainability strategy.
Background information on the products:
- TBA is available from EVONIK in two grades ('pure' and 'azeotropic') and is used, among other things, for the production of organic peroxides for the plastics industry, as a special solvent, and in the production of tablet coatings by the pharmaceutical industry.
- DiB is a highly branched C8 molecule. Due to its high purity, it can be used as an intermediate product for the production of UV stabilizers, high-performance lubricants and special polymer resins.
- TMH, as an aldehyde with high isomeric purity, is an intermediate product for the production of high-performance lubricants (especially cooling lubricants) and lubricant additives, as well as a component and intermediate product for special products in the cosmetics and fragrance industries.
Evonik is one of the world leaders in specialty chemicals. The company is active in more than 100 countries around the world and generated sales of €13.1 billion and an operating profit (adjusted EBITDA) of €2.15 billion in 2019. Evonik goes far beyond chemistry to create innovative, profitable and sustainable solutions for customers. More than 32,000 employees work together for a common purpose: We want to improve life, today and tomorrow.
ABOUT PERFORMANCE MATERIALS
The forever young classics of the Performance Materials Division stand for products and technologies that are continuously improved. They are the basis for many modern applications, for example in the areas of mobility, nutrition, pharmaceuticals or plastics. The division generated sales from continuing operations of around €2.04 billion in 2019 with about 1,600 employees. It is part of Evonik Operations GmbH.
In so far as forecasts or expectations are expressed in this press release or where our statements concern the future, these forecasts, expectations or statements may involve known or unknown risks and uncertainties. Actual results or developments may vary, depending on changes in the operating environment. Neither Evonik Industries AG nor its group companies assume an obligation to update the forecasts, expectations or statements contained in this release.